The Battle of Normandy was fought in 1944 between Nazi Germany and invading Allied Forces, as part of the larger conflict of World War II. Monuments, museums, bunkers and cemeteries are a living commemoration to the battle of Normandy and present the perfect base from where to take a school trip to study History and Battlefields.
- KS 3: Understand the experiences of French soldiers in World War II.
- KS 3: Examine the effects of historical trends and events on ordinary people.
- KS 3: Recognise how people have responded to these events.
- KS 3: Evaluate the importance of these events to the present day.
- Learn about the events and experiences of soldiers in World War II.
- Observe how societies come to terms with traumatic events.
- Understand the modern day affects of medieval and more recent history.
- Explore conceptions of patriotism, citizenship and the quest for international peace.